(A Web Site About ME!)

Wednesday 23 July 2008 - Thursday 24 July 2008
Travel to and touring Worms, Germany.
(click on any photo for an enlargement)


We were up and at the Midland airport at around 7:00 A.M. to make our 9:40 A.M. flight. No problems at all. Midland is a small, regional airport and the people running the show are all pretty laid back. We boarded an Embraer RJ145 puddle jumper jet for the 1 hour hop to Dallas Fort Worth International airport (DFW). The photo above is a stock photo as I don't believe Air France has direct service to Midland, Texas.


10:50 A.M. we arrived at DFW. Next flight was the 9 hour, 35 minute intercontinental jump to Frankfurt, Germany, leaving at 2:45 P.M. That was a 4 hour layover. We ate our last American meal, found our flight, and settled into a Boeing 777 (photo above).

A Boeing 777 has a small TV screen in the back of the seat in front of you. We could watch movies, TV shows, play games, and so on. There was a wired remote control that stowed in the left armrest of the seat. It was cunningly situated in such a way as to change the channel or volume of your TV whenever you were foolish enough to actually try to rest your arm on the armrest. We spent most of our time watching the "Flight Plan" which shows a small outline of our airplane crawling maddeningly slowly towards Germany. Now, I know we only paid for economy class tickets, but, I mean, gees! Angie and I spent 10 hours strapped into stepped, semi-reclining coffin sized seats with what seemed like 1/4" of padding. Fortunately, we had both brought our U shaped neck pillows and we managed to get a few hours of sleep.

As we boarded, we set our watches to German time which instantly took 7 hours away from our lives. We landed in Frankfurt at 7:20 A.M., Germany time. We have now been up some 17 hours or so. As we planned our vacation, we decided that the best way for us to beat jet lag was to just stay at the local time of wherever we were. In other words, we decided to ignore our biological clocks and go to bed at 10 P.M. or so local time. Nothing like 24 hours of straight awake time. To tell you the truth, it worked rather well and our only bad day was this day, when we first arrived in Germany.

7:20 A.M. we glided into Frankfurt Germany international airport. There is a mix-up as to what terminal the plane was supposed to go to so we ended up taking some busses to the terminal building. We breezed through customs, got our passports de-flowered with a German VISA stamp, headed to the carousal, and waited for our luggage... and waited... and waited. Well, somebody's luggage had to be the last one out and, today, it was mine. We were the last ones to leave the baggage area... And we ran smack dab into Beate, waiting for us.

Some things do not need to be broadcast all over the Net. Me seeing Beate for the first time in 30 years is one of them.

Beate drove us to Worms on THE AUTOBAHN! I couldn't help but laugh as we passed strange looking semi trucks doing 70 KPH on our right, and Mercedes, Porches, and BMW's going 200 KPH pass us on our left.

We arrived in Worms, found our motel, and decided to look around the city.


Our motel was right downtown and the St Peter’s Cathedral was just a couple of blocks away. Beautiful. Beate lives in Worms and has seen all this before so she spent the time doing the cell phone texting thing.

  image image  

Worms had a very large Jewish community prior to World War 2. The left photo is a monument to Martin Luther. The right photo is proof that we now know where all the American Woolworth stores finally ended up.

We went to sleep around 10 P.M. and slept the sleep of the dead, or of the jet lagged. Same difference.

<< First | < Previous Next > | Last >>

So, did you like the information on this page?
Would you like to see more?
Then please email me and let me know.

© 2007 Pafoofnik Enterprises | Site Designer: Doug Otoupal - N5HYD